Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Wool Basket in the Trees

  How do I get the name Wool Basket in the Trees?

 DSC04254.JPG I have a lot of trees around my home.  I have planted most of them myself and watched them grow tall and leafy. One of them, a Jacaranda, has a multi-storey tree house built in it which looks out across the roof of the shed.
  Another spreading tree shades the back corner of my garden and drops lots of musty dead leaves into the pond.  My father-in-law gave me some little palms which have now grown into really impressive trees.  On the little hill just outside my fence there is a wonderful Morton Bay Fig which my farmer father rescued from a crack in the paving years ago and happily presented to me in a bucket to plant somewhere not too close to the house.  I am still not sure if I put it far enough away. I have a couple of pesky Chinese elms which he gave me as well, and I really should cut them down as they spread all over the countryside, but at the moment they give a beautiful shade to the shed and how would I replace them? Scattered all over are the magnificent Silky Oaks and a few Gum Trees.  The birds nest in them all and feed on the sweet nectar. My bantam hens love the leaf litter.DSC04684.JPG  The house gutters not so much!
  Baskets hold a lot of things.  I have a lot of them around the place.  This year I made some to hold wool.  I learned that Cat's Claw vine could be pulled straight from the trees where it is growing up and strangling them and immediately woven into beautiful and practical baskets.  This wonderful material is free and harvesting it is actually helping!  I made a big basket to hold vegetables but I have had to put my overflowing wool hoard in it instead!  The smaller baskets are wonderful for my smaller portable projects.  Everywhere I go my basket goes with me.  I always have something I am making.  Actually, I have multitudes of projects on the go at once! This year I must finish some more of them off.
  I think that I will do what my mother did when she was little and do my work up in the tree house.  The wool basket will be easy to carry up there and it is so peaceful and quiet up there alone with the birds and God.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment